Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Zombii mayhem and murder in NYC

I exchange books with a couple of friends at work. One of them usually has books that I would not choose myself, but I almost always end up enjoying them. A lot of them are nonfiction, which I don't read much of, and many of them are supernatural, another category I don't usually consider. So when he offered to lend me Cemetery Dance by Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston, I thought I'd give it a try. And I'm glad I did!

My daughter Tracey often asks me what I'm reading, and it's not often that she has much interest in whatever it is. But as soon as I mentioned zombiis, she was asking to borrow the book. Same with my husband, Rob. He was incredulous that I didn't mention it to him sooner!

So, how was the book? I enjoyed it thoroughly. It had lots of background information on voodoo, obeah, and other spooky religions, as well as some NYC lore, both factual and fictional, about the Inwood Hills Park area, at the northern tip of Manhattan. The zombiis are not the type who eat brains, but more the undead soldiers serving dark masters. The story line was interesting and there was plenty of action. It was just fun to read, a real escape. And, in the end, much of the supernatural aspect is debunked, so you end up feeling vindicated somehow, for having read it and for liking it so much. By the way, according to the book, zombii is the true spelling, not the zombie you are used to seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment